The Garden Cottage
Originally built at the same time as the walled gardens in the mid-18th century for the head gardener at Kimberley Hall, the cottage was embellished in 1880 with distinctive Tudor elements, beams and four differing chimney designs. The 4th Earl of Kimberley, whilst awaiting improvements to the Hall following occupation by the army during the war, extended the building in 1946 adding two wings and lived there until the mid-1950s.
In 1999 the present owners carried out a major refurbishment creating two large open-plan spaces on the ground floor more suited to modern living. The kitchen (entered via a large boot room with WC) is of a modernist sculptural design with exposed steel beams and an open glazed staircase looking towards the conservatory, private garden and mini-park with ancient oaks. The conservatory is a wonderful place to enjoy breakfast with the sun rising from the east and to observe roe and muntjac deer grazing in the adjacent fields and sometimes in the garden during the day!
The large yellow sitting room is characterized by hand-carved Indian doorways and a unique marble fireplace brought back from India by the owners. This 25 ft x 26 ft space has a huge Loaf sofa and additional contemporary seating facing the garden, a large desk, extensive book shelves, games cupboard, TV and wifi via a 4g system (shortly to be upgraded to fibre). The cottage also has a spacious larder and utility room off the kitchen.
There has been no compromise on comfort in the bedrooms with four super-king sized beds (three have zip-and-link mattresses to become twin beds) and standard doubles in the two smaller rooms (one zip-and-link, ideal for children and teenagers). There are three bathrooms upstairs, one a ‘Jack-and-Jill’ (two bedrooms sharing the ensuite master bathroom)
The property is situated about 900m from the road (with electric gates at the entrance) and 360m from Kimberley Hall itself. It is located at the centre of the historic ‘Capability’ Brown designed parkland, listed by Kew gardens as containing the highest concentration of ancient oak trees (500+ years old) in East Anglia and 25th best parkland oaks in the UK. It is surrounded by a substantial garden on two sides with a swing seat, garden furniture, bbq and overlooks its own 1.5-acre mini-park containing five spectacular oaks. Guests in the cottage are welcome to enjoy this area on and exclusive basis or if they wish to venture beyond the extensive gardens they can walk the Tiffey Trail which leads directly to Wymondham with its historic Abbey (built in 1108), weekly market, pubs, shops and restaurants.